Hilary Inwood is a lecturer teaching art education and environmental education at the Ontario Institute of Studies in Education at the University of Toronto. She holds degrees in education (M.Ed, University of Toronto), art history (MA, York University) and art education (Ph.D), Concordia University. Her research focuses on the professional development of teachers in environmental education and art education, as well as the integration of art education with environmental education to develop environmental literacy in school and community settings. Her work as an educator and artist extends beyond the classroom to include school gardens, outdoor education centres, parks and galleries.
|Profile||Education||Academic Honours & Awards|
|Current Employment||Professional Experience||Professional Affiliations|
|Teaching Experience||Research Experience||Scholarly Contributions|
Doctoral Degree in Art Education
Concordia University, Montreal, Que.
- courses in curriculum and pedagogy, enviromental education, art education, critical analysis, qualitative research methodologies
- thesis: Artistic Approaches to Ecological Literacy: Developing Eco-Art Education in Elementary Classrooms
Master’s Degree in Education
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, Toronto, Ont.
Master’s Degree in Art History
York University, Toronto, Ont.
Honours Bachelor of Arts, Art History and Criticism
University of Western Ontario, London, Ont.
Green Ribbon Faculty Award, University of Toronto, 2015
Provincial Affliliate Award in Art Education for Ontario, Canadian Society for Education Through Art, 2012
Green Ribbon Award, OISE's ESE Working Group, University of Toronto, 2012
Valedictorian of the Graduating Class, Concordia University
Doctoral Thesis Completion Award, Concordia University
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Doctoral Fellowship
Graduate Entrance Fellowship, Concordia University
Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Toronto
Ontario Graduate Scholarship, York University
Entrance Scholarship, York University
Dean's Honour List, U.W.O.
Entrance Scholarship, U.W.O.
Lecturer, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto 2002 – present
- teaching pre-service and graduate courses in Art Education, Teaching Methods, Qualitative Research, and Environmental Education to elementary and secondary teacher candidates in the B.Ed, CTEP and MT programs
- leading the Environmental and Sustainability Education Infusion Initiative since 2010
- initiating research studies into environmental and art education
- supervising teacher candidates’ practica and internship teaching assignments
- creating and delivering extra-curricular learning opportunities for students, including conferences, workshops and websites
Educational Consultant, ARTiculations, Toronto 1988 - present
- consulting for educational clientele in Ontario, including school boards, universities, museums, galleries, and private firms
- creating and delivering innovative courses, programs, and curriculum for students at a variety of levels (primary, junior, intermediate, senior, university, continuing education)
- designing and leading environmental art education workshops for K-12 schools and universities
- clients include the Ontario College of Teachers; Ontario Ministry of Education; Toronto District School Board; Toronto Catholic District School Board; Evergreen; Art Gallery of Ontario; Jacksonville Museum of Modern Art (Fla.); Oakville Galleries; McMichael Candian Collection and more
Canadian Society for the Study of Education (CSSE)
Ontario Art Education Association (OAEA)
Ontario Teacher Educators for the Arts (OnTEA)
Canadian Society for Education Through Art (CSEA)
National Art Education Association (NAEA)
Canadian Network for Environmental Education and Communication (EECOM)
North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE)
American Educational Research Association (AERA)
Pre-service Teacher Education
Principles of Teaching, OISE, University of Toronto
Introduction to Art Education, OISE, University of Toronto
Junior/Intermediate Art Education, OISE, University of Toronto
Exploring Environmental and Sustainability Education, OISE, University of Toronto
Art Education for Adolescents and Adults, Concordia University
Art, Education and Environmentalism, Concordia University
Reflective Teaching and Research, OISE, University of Toronto
Arts in Education, OISE, University of Toronto
The Greening of Art Education, Concordia University
Inservice Teacher Education
Additional Qualifications Course in Environmental Education, Part 1, OISE, University of Toronto
Exploring Environmental Education in the Outdoor Classroom, Summer Institute for Teachers, Evergreen/TDSB
Teaching in the Outdoor Classroom: Summer Institute for Teachers, Evergreen/TDSB
Additional Qualifications Course in Visual Arts Part 1, OISE, University of Toronto
Sightseeing: Summer Institutes in Visual Arts for Teachers, Toronto District School Board
Arts Educators Institute, Arts for Children and Youth of Toronto
Learning to Look at Art, University of Toronto
Seeing the Elements of Visual Art, University of Toronto
Understanding Art of Our Time, University of Toronto
Introduction to Art of the 20th Century, University of Toronto
Touring Toronto's Art Galleries, University of Toronto
Taught integrated art programs to K- 8 students as an itinerant art teacher
for the Metro Separate School Board, 1988-2000
Wheeling, Dealing, Making Meaning, Art Gallery of Ontario
Unearthing Art, Art Gallery of Ontario
Docent Training Program, Oakville Galleries
Exploring the Visual Arts, Art Gallery of Ontario
Introduction to Animateuring, McMichael Canadian Collection
"Ask Me" Docent Training Program, Art Gallery of Ontario
Areas of Teaching Expertise
Curriculum and pedagogy in visual arts education and environmental & sustainability education
Teacher training and professional development in art education and environmental& sustainability education
Integrated approaches to art education and environmental education
Curricular integration of the arts
Role of the arts in fostering ecological literacy
Lead Researcher, Tracking the Effects of Teachers’ PD in Environmental Learning, TDSB, 2011.
Research Team Member, Climate Change and Sustainable Development: The Response from Education in Canada.
OISE and the International Alliance of Leading Educational Institutes, 2009.Lead Researcher, Artistic Approaches to Ecological Literacy: Developing Eco-Art Education in Elementary Classrooms,
Concordia University, 2006-9.
Lead Researcher, Building Creative Bridges: Integrating Service Learning into the ITE Program, School/University
Partnership Research into Practice Project, OISE, 2006-7.
Lead Researcher, Advising the Arts: Strengthening Arts-based Learning in the ITE Program, School/University
Partnership Research into Practice Project, OISE, 2005-6.
Researcher, Developing CyberArts Resources for Preservice Education, Information Technology Mini-Grant, OISE, 2003.
Researcher, Needs Assessment of the McMichael’s Educational Programming,McMichael Canadian Collection, 1993.
Researcher, An Evaluation of the Ask Me Program, Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO), 1992.
Research Assistant, Visitor Studies Research Project: Contemporary Art, AGO, 1990.
Research Assistant, Visitor Studies Research Project: Group of Seven, AGO, 1989.
Preparation of preservice teacher candidates in environmental and sustainability education
Art and environmental education in preservice teacher education
Developing practicum supports for preservice teacher candidates
Connecting research to practice in inservice teacher education
Environmental and Sustainability Education
Professional development of teachers in environmental and sustainability education
Curriculum and pedagogy in eco-art education
Role of the arts in fostering environmental literacy
Integrated curriculum in outdoor classrooms
Curriculum and pedagogy in art education
Artistic approaches to environmental and outdoor education
Development of visual literacy
Curricular integration of art education
Exploring Eco-Art Education in Elementary Classrooms. Independent Education, June 2015.
Land, Learning and the Arts. Of Land and Living Skies Journal, issue 2, Summer 2014.
International Electronic Journal of Environmental Education, 3(2), 2013.
Take It Outside: A Place-based Approach to Art Education. In StARTing With, CSEA, 2010.
Art Education magazine, vol 63(6), November 2010.
Planting Seeds: Garden Art. What Works: Innovative Strategies for Teaching Art, CSEA, 2010.
Mapping Eco-Art Education. Canadian Review of Art Education, vol 35(1), 2008.
At the crossroads: Situating place-based art education. Canadian Journal of Environmental Education, vol 13(1), 2008.
Growing Art in School Gardens, Green Teacher Magazine, Fall 2006.
Investigating Teachers’ Attitudes Towards Eco-Art Education, Canadian Review of Art Education, vol. 32, 2005.
Creating a Map for Eco-Art Education, Green Teacher Magazine, Fall 2003
Interpreting From Objects, Museum Education Round Table Journal, Oct. 2000
Co-Authored Articles and Chapters in Refereed Publications
Growing Art Education and Big Ideas in School Gardens. Co-authors: H. Inwood and J. Sharpe. (under review)
Canadian Perspectives on Initial Teacher Environmental Education Praxis. Co-editors D. Karrow, M. DiGuiseppe, P. Elliott, H. Inwood,
& Y. Gwekwerere. Canadian Association of Teacher Education. (book in process, due in 2016).
Re-imagining Environmental Education as Artistic Practice. ( book chapter in process, due in 2016)
Co-authored with Elizabeth Ashworth. In International Perspectives on the Theory and Practice of Environmental Education.
Creative Activism: Deepening Connection to Urban Environments Through the Arts. (in process, due in 2016)
Co-authored with Joe Heimlich, Kumara Ward,& Jennifer Adams. In Urban Environmental Education.
What’s growing on here? Garden-based pedagogy in a concrete jungle.
Co-authored with Susan Jagger and Erin Sperling. Environmental Education Research, 2015.
Going deeper: Outdoor education and experiential learning in initial teacher education.
Co-authored with Darren Hoeg. Pathways, 27(3), 2015.Reflections on the Canadian Experience with Education for Climate Change and Sustainable Development.
Co-authored with Ryan Taylor. International Electronic Journal of Environmental Education, 2(1), 2012.
Co-authors: Nazir, J., Pedretti, E., Wallace, J., Montemurro, D., & Inwood, H. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education, 11(4), 2011.
Published Research Reports
Growing Together: Partnerships in Environmental and Sustainability Education. Inquiry into practice: Learning Global Matters in Local Classrooms (Eds. K. Broad, M. Evans, D. Montemurro, & M. Gambhir), OISE/University of Toronto, 2014.
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (Research Report to the IALEI) 2009.
Transformation of Teacher Education (Ed. C. Rolheiser), OISE/University of Toronto, 2007.
Initial Teacher Education: Enriching and Extending Partnerships (Ed. C. Rolheiser), OISE/University of Toronto, 2008.
Primary Visual Arts, Teachers' Resource Package, Metro Separate School Board, 1999.
Visual Arts Program Guide (Transition Years), Etobicoke Board of Education, Spring 1998.
The Arts Program Planning Guide, Metro Separate School Board and CCSB, March 1997.
Approaches to Art History at the Senior Level, Teachers' Resource Package, Metro Separate School Board, 1995.
Introducing Canadian Art, Teachers' Resource Package, London School Board, 1994.
Educating for Sustainable Well-being Conference, University of Manitoba, 2014
Master of Teaching Environmental Education Conference, OISE, University of Toronto, 2012
Keynote, Inspiring Eco-conscious Teachers conference, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, 2015
Keynote, Educating for Sustainable Well-being Conference, University of Manitoba, 2014
Keynote, Environmental Education Conference for Graduate Students, OISE, University of Toronto, 2012
Introduction to Community Arts Education, Arts for Children and Youth Arts Education Institute, 2012
Environmental and Sustainability Education for all Citizens: Are We Making Progress? Panel Discussion, EEON, 2011
Inclusive Approaches to Arts Education, Arts for Children and Youth Arts Education Institute, 2009
From the Ground Up: Growing Environmentalism Through Art Education, Queen’s University, 2008
Artistic Greening of Toronto School Yards, Evergreen and the District School Board, 2005 & 2006
Art and the 3Rs: Recycling, Reducing, and Reusing, Toronto District School Board, 2004
Questioning Contemporary Art, Art Gallery of Ontario, 2000
Going Places: Contemporary Canadian Landscape, Art Gallery of Ontario, 2000
An Introduction to the Art of Cindy Sherman, Art Gallery of Ontario, 1999
Ages and Stages: Characteristics of Young Learners, Bata Shoe Museum, 1999
Effective Art Education Programs, Etobicoke Board of Education, 1996, 1997
The Common Curriculum and the Visual Arts, Metro Separate School Board, 1995
Looking at and Approaching Contemporary Art, Oakville Galleries Lectures Series, 1994
Integration of the Visual Arts, Faculty of Education, University of Toronto, 1992-4
Art by Native Canadian Artists, Canadian Studies Seminar, 1992
Selected Conference Presentations
For the Birds: Connecting Eco-Art to Humane Education, All Hands in the Dirt conference, Evergreen, November 2015
Reimagining environmental education as artistic practice, WEEC 2015
Nudging Environmental Education into the Mainstream: Addressing the Gulf between Rhetoric and Practice, Ministry of Education
Faculties of Education Forum, 2015
Questioning the Place of Environmental Education in Pre-service Education AERA, 2015
Using Ecoart Education as Environmental Activism, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, 2015
Turning Over a New Leaf: Using Clay for Eco-art Making, All Hands in the Dirt conference, Evergreen, November 2014
Exploring Environmental Inquiry Through Art Education, NAAEE conference, October 2014
Supporting Professional Development inEnvironmental & Sustainability Education, NAAEE conference, October 2014
Deepening Environmental Education in Preservice Programs, NAAEE conference, October 2014
Moving DEEPER into Environmental Well-being, Ministry of Education Faculties of Education Forum, May 2014
What’s growing on here? Garden-based pedagogy in a concrete jungle, AERA, April 2014
Natural Curiosity: Integrating Art Education and Environmental Learning, NAEA, March 2014
Rolling up our sleeves: Hopeful Environmental Education practices in Pre-service Programs, OTF/OADE conference, October 2014
Ecojustice, Citizenship and the Environment, Global Citizenship Education Conference, Centennial College, 2012
Making your Mark: Art in the Shoulder Seasons, All Hands in the Dirt Conference, Evergreen, November 2011
Shades of Green: Developing Approaches to Eco-Art Education, CSSE conference , June 2011
Integrating the Visual Arts with Environmental Education, Staging Sustainability conference, York University, April 2011
Greening the Arts at Evergreen Brickworks, NAAEE conference, October 2010
Learning in the Outdoor Classroom: Professional Development for Teachers, NAAEE conference, October 2010
The Greening of Arts Education, Arts for Social and Environmental Justice Symposium, 2010
Artistic Approaches to Environmental Education, Ministry of Education Faculties of Education Forum, 2010
The Greening of Art Education, NAEA conference, 2010
‘Growing Green’ at the Brickworks - Creative Approaches to EE, OSEE conference, 2010
Planting Seeds for Change Through Garden-based Art Education, NAEA conference, 2010
Artistic Approaches to Environmental Education, World Environmental Education Congress conference, 2009
Learning in the Outdoor Classroom, World Environmental Education Congress conference, 2009
Trading Places: Using Art to enhance place-based learning, Ontario Society for Environmental Education conference, 2009
Artistic Approaches to Environmental Education, Ministry of Education Symposium, 2009
The Greening of Art Education, Canadian Society for Education Through Art conference, 2008
Mapping Eco-Art Education, National Art Education Association conference, 2008
Artistic Approaches to Ecological Literacy, Canadian Society for Education Through Art conference, 2007
Artistic Approaches to Ecological Literacy, National Art Education Association conference, 2007
Building Stories: Learning through Architecture, Narrative and Bookmaking, Ontario Society
for Education Through Art conference, 2006Integrating Art and Drama into School Gardens, Ontario Society for Education Through Art conference, 2005
Art in the Garden, Ontario Society for Environmental Education conference, 2005
Unearthing Art: Art Education and Environmental Education Integrations, Canadian Network
For Environmental Education and Communication conference, 2005
Using Bookmaking to Explore Self-Identity, Ontario Society for Education Through Art conference, 2004
Bookmaking: Creating Connections between Art Education and Literacy, OISE, 2005, 2006, 2007
Drawing on a Sense of Place, Ontario Society for Environmental Education conference, 2004
Using the Visual Arts to Explore Place, Ontario Society for Education Through Art conference, 2002
Integrating the Visual Arts into the Common Curriculum, Conference for Catholic School Boards conference, 1996
Integrating Art History at the Secondary Level, Canadian Society for Education Through Art conference, 1995
The "Ask Me" Program, Ontario Museums Association conference, 1994
Partnership Models for Schools and their Communities, Ontario Society for Education
Through Art and Art Gallery Educators conference, 1994
Results of the AGO's Audience Research Survey, Audience Research Consortium Conference, 1989
National Roundtable in Environmental & Sustainability Education in Pre-service Education, Trent, 2016
DEEPER: Environmental Education in Preservice Education Roundtable, OISE, 2013
- co-chaired and facilitated provincial roundtable on environmental education in preservice education
Master of Teaching Conference on Environmental and Sustainability Education, OISE, 2013, 2014, 2015
- designed and co-ordinated conference for 200 graduate students
Exploring Environmental Education: Summer Institute for Teachers, Evergreen/TDSB, 2010, 2011, 2012
- co-designed and will conduct four day summer institute in environmental education for teachers
Teaching in the Outdoor Classroom Summer Institute, Toronto District School Board, 2007, 2008, 2009
- co-designed and conducted three day summer institutes in environmental education for teachers
Initial Teacher Education Elementary Arts Conference, OISE, University of Toronto, 2006-2009
- designed and co-ordinated one day conferences for 500 teacher candidadates each year that offered
over thirty arts education workshops (drama, dance, visual arts and music)
Art Education Summer Institute, Toronto District School Board, 2002, 2004
- designed and conducted four day summer institutes in art education for forty teachers
Canadian Studies Seminar, School of Continuing Studies, University of Toronto, 1992
- designed and co-ordinated two ten day summer institutes for forty international teachers
Environmental and Sustainability Education at OISE/UT , 2011-2015
- designed and maintains a website to promote Environmental and Sustainability Education (ESE)
OAEA: Ontario Art Education Association, 2011
- co-designed and wrote content for a website to promote art education in Ontario
- designed and created website to provide support materials and information for B.Ed program
Artvault <URL no longer available> 2000
- researched and wrote art historical articles for educational component of art auction website
It Seems Like Yesterday <URL no longer available> 1998
- researched, edited and wrote copy for a popular culture history website
Classroom Directions <URL no longer available> 1998
- researched and created integrated primary curricular activities
University of Toronto Bulletin, March 2015
EcoArtEd Channel, YouTube, December 2014
University of Toronto Bulletin, October 2013
University of Toronto Bulletin, April 2013
The Torontoist, February 2013
EcoArtEd Channel, YouTube, January 2013
ASCD Website , March 2011
Green Teacher Webinar, Winter 2011
Hilary Inwood Plants a Seed
Concordia Journal (vol. 4, no.17) June 2009
Teaching Children about the Environment
TVOntario webcast, April 2008
- Member, CTL Council, 2015-16
- Supervisor, Master of Teaching Research papers, OISE 2013-15
- Chair, Environmental and Sustainability Education Working Group, OISE, 2007-2016
- Advisor, Master of Teaching Conference on Environmental and Sustainability Education, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Member, Faculty Council, 2011-14
- Member, ITE Program Committee, OISE, 2011-2014
- Co-organizer, Tacon Lecture, 2009-12
- Co-organizer, OISE’s Empty Bowls Project, 2009-13
- Co-Chair, Initial Teacher Education Elementary Arts Conference, 2006-09
- Co-Curator, OISE Art Exhibition, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Member, Curriculum and Instruction Committee, OISE, 2004-2009
- Member, Accreditation Committee, OISE, 2005
- Organizer, Initial Teacher Education /Art Gallery of Ontario Program, 2002-2006
- Organizer and Workshop Leader, extracurricular Art Education workshops, 2002-2006
- Writer, Art Education Student Support Website, OISE, 2002-2006
- Visiting Artist, Elementary Art Workshops, Institute for Child Studies, OISE, 2002+
- Reviewer, Environmental Education Research, 2012-13
- Editorial Board, EARTh Education Journal, 2012
- Co-chair, Teaching and Learning in Ecological Literacy Sub-Committee, TDSB, 2011-13
- Member, Environmental Advisory Committee, TDSB, 2011-14
- OSEA/CSEA Conference Chair, 2010
- Vice-President, Ontario Art Education Association, 2010-12
- Board Member, Ontario Art Education Association, 2009-2012
- Juror, Etobicoke School for the Arts, 2008, 2009
- Member, Fundraising Committee, EECOM, 2005
- Juror, Artists in Education Jury, Ontario Arts Council, 2004
- Board member, School Council, Runnymede Public School, 2007-2009
- Chair, Environment Committee, Runnymede P.S., 2006-10
- Member, Environment Committee, Runnymede P.S., 2000-2011
- Community Arts Facilitator, Runnymede P.S., 2000-2010
- Visiting Artist, Elementary Art Workshops, TDSB schools, 1999-2010
- Volunteer, ArtsStarts Community Arts Centre, 1997
- Treasurer and Board Member, Place to Play Nursery School, 1998-1999, 2000-2001
- Volunteer Reader, Canadian National Institute for the Blind, 1989-1993
All Writing & Photography © Hilary Inwood, 2010
Website Design © Gareth Bate, 2010
This website is 100% wind powered.